What is Rancho's Independent Study Program?
What is Independent Study?
- Independent Study (I.S.) is an optional educational alternative that students voluntarily select, including students covered under California Education Code sections 48915 and 48917. All students who choose I.S. must be offered the alternative of classroom instruction, and they must have the continuing option of returning to the classroom.
- Students are offered curriculum based on California State Standards.
- Students receive instruction from highly qualified, credentialed California Teachers.
- Students can select online or in-person engagement.
- Students work on curriculum at a flexible pace as deemed appropriate by the teacher.
- Students enrolling in I.S. will be transferred from their home school site to Rancho.
- Students may return to a comprehensive site at any time.
What are the criteria to participate in Independent Study?
- I.S. students’ satisfactory educational progress will be evaluated using all of the following measures:
- A student’s achievement and engagement in the program, as indicated by their performance on applicable pupil-level measures of pupil achievement and engagement pursuant to paragraphs (4) and (5) of subdivision (d) of Education Code Section 52060.
- A student’s completion of assignments, assessments, or other indicators that evidence that the pupil is working on assignments.
- A student’s learning required concepts, as determined by the supervising teacher.
- A student’s progress toward successful completion of the course of study or individual course, as determined by the supervising teacher.
- I.S. students are required to report to their teacher(s) or other RLC staff based on a predetermined schedule.
- Transitional Kindergarten to grade 3 — daily limited synchronous instruction for all students throughout the school year.
- Grades 4 to 8 — both daily limited live interaction and at least weekly limited synchronous instruction for all students throughout the school year.
- Grades 9 to 12 — at least weekly limited synchronous instruction for all students throughout the school year.
*Limited synchronous instruction will differ significantly from the synchronous instruction provided during 2020-2021 Distance Learning.
What is the parent/guardian's responsibility?
- Parents/Guardians/Caregivers are responsible for supervising I.S. students while they are completing the assigned work and for ensuring the submission of all completed assignments necessary for evaluation.
Is Independent Study right for you?
- Contact Rancho to speak with a school representative!