Independent Study Program
Arcadia Unified is committed to providing our families an educational experience that meets their needs within the resources available to us. We have recently received additional guidance on what we can offer our families requesting an educational alternative for the 2021-2022 school year. The educational alternative we can offer is our Independent Study Program at Rancho Learning Center. Below is some important information regarding the program we are offering. If you are still interested in this program after reading the information, then we will schedule a meeting and complete the agreement to enroll your student at Rancho Learning Center.
- Independent Study (I.S.) is an optional educational alternative that students voluntarily select, including students covered under California Education Code sections 48915 and 48917. All students who choose I.S. must be offered the alternative of classroom instruction, and they must have the continuing option of returning to the classroom.
- Students enrolling in I.S. will be transferred from their home school site to Rancho Learning Center (RLC).
- I.S. students choosing to exit the I.S. program and return to the classroom will be placed at their home school site IF space is available.
- I.S. students’ satisfactory educational progress will be evaluated using all of the following measures:
- A student’s achievement and engagement in the program, as indicated by their performance on applicable pupil-level measures of pupil achievement and engagement pursuant to paragraphs (4) and (5) of subdivision (d) of Education Code Section 52060.
- A student’s completion of assignments, assessments, or other indicators that evidence that the pupil is working on assignments.
- A student’s learning required concepts, as determined by the supervising teacher.
- A student’s progress toward successful completion of the course of study or individual course, as determined by the supervising teacher.
- I.S. students are required to report to their teacher(s) or other RLC staff based on a predetermined schedule.
- Kindergarten to grade 3 — daily limited synchronous instruction for all students throughout the school year.
- Grades 4 to 8 — both daily limited live interaction and at least weekly limited synchronous instruction for all students throughout the school year.
- Limited synchronous instruction will differ significantly from the synchronous instruction provided during 2020-2021 Distance Learning.
- Parents/Guardians/Caregivers are responsible for supervising I.S. students while they are completing the assigned work and for ensuring the submission of all completed assignments necessary for evaluation.
- Click here to request a meeting (https://forms.gle/M4nYSPuZhQ1qADvR7)
- Please contact Dr. John Tung if you need assistance.